Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Day 9 - Colouring

I attended a training today on mindfulness (more on that later). We were all given a Mandala colouring book for adults with colour pencils and clay. We were encouraged to use our hands either to shape things or aimlessly colour while listening to the speakers - the logic being these activities actually help us relax and put us in a more positive frame of mind.

Image result for mandala coloringWhen I got back home, the kids were very excited about it. After I explained, that its mine and the colour pencils are also mine, the excitement levels turned to outrage. Mowgli went off to play in a huff. Bambi got into one of her rare tantrums. Non stop crying on why she wanted my pencils. I was in a better mood today, so was able to handle her well. Without shouting, I kept on explaining that she has her own pencils and could use them and on and on. After about 15 minutes of this drama, I left her on the bed and started colouring. In about 5 minutes, Bambi stopped crying and was on my lap and suggesting colours. The earlier drama all forgotten.

I dont know what got into her. Its more strange because she is not the person who throws a lot of tantrums or insists that things be done her way. She is super confident in not wanting that validation from others. She just goes ahead and does what she wants to without really asking for your permission.Anyway, the colouring was fun and very peaceful. Because the patterns are huge and intricate, we both could pick up a corner to start with and keep colouring on the same sheet. Its been a long time since I have done something with her alone.

I keep making plans on spending at least 10 min alone with both the kids, but nothing really works out. Either I'm too frazzled or they are not in a good mood. But today was good. We spent a lot of time quietly colouring the same sheet and it helped make both of us very relaxed.

Highly recommended activity for adults :-)

No comments: