Saturday, October 31, 2009

I just had the most ridiculous conversation ever!

Went down for breakfast and saw a guy from the same company. I was introduced to him yesterday evening, so for courtesy sake thought 'll join him. Wrong Wrong Wrong decision!

We got talking. Work, Austin etc etc. Then, he asked me about my background.

"***** from Kerala, ****** from Trichy". He looks at me for some time , then exclaims"Oh, you are a mallu?"

"Yes."

"Oh! How did you overcome your accent?"

What??? What the #$%^&*^%$#@! I smile at him politely and just leave the question unanswered. Anybody with half a brain can make out that I'm just being polite. bUt No, this guy just doesnt get it.

I mutter " Not all mallus have an accent!"

He smiles widely " Yes, Yes.. Like me!". So Mr. Indian-trying -hard-to-be-an-american is a mallu. He dismisses Kerala with a shrug and tries a drawl" I've been in Bangalore and US most of my life. Thankfully was out before I could develop that accent. I'm a seetisen now!" Its all I can do to not correct him. Its citiZen! not seetisen.

"So Have you been in Blore for a long time ?"

I say, "not much. just 5 years."

" Oh, so thats when you got rid of your mallu accent!"

I am ready to throw the waffles and syrup at him. I again force myself to smile politely and tell him, "No . This is how I used to speak before also. Have not consciously monitored and changed the way I speak". He still looks unconvinced. I am least bothered. I start gobbling my food trying to escape from this wierdo.

He starts talking about his family and we move into neutral subjects.

"I guess, the school that you went to, they removed your accent."

I try to smile, but I have gone past politeness. I just glare at him.

He still doesnt get it! "Tell me... What about your parents?Do they have an accent?"

What is his #%^$ problem? Arre yaar, isnt language a mode of communication? Everybody has an accent. Why will you assume that an American accent is better than a Bihari accent? Even he has an accent. There are time he tries to americanize his words and at times subconsciously his native accent does come through.

" My dad did his schooling etc outside Kerala. My mom spent her whole life in Keral. She started conversing in English when I was born and No, she doesnot have an accent!"

By this time I'm stuffed most of the food down my throat and am in serious danger of choking!

"Hmmmmm... So after school did you join any conversation course like spoken english?"

And thats it! I get up with my half finished plate, try a last attempt at a polite smile and ESCAPEEEEEEEEE!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not surprised about this! I have gone through this many many times!

sher khan said...

:-) and how do you react?
also, mind telling me who you are? just so that can get excited that there are people who out there to read this! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa, This is Suma from GEC. I dont remember how i got the link to your blog. Its been great reading your blog.
You write vey well..

And about how i react to these type of conversation. I used to defend us mallus very strongly, trying to explain
and defend us Malayalees and explain that every socitey has different way of speaking and doing things.

Now i just smile and ignore, don't even encourage these ignorant fools who continue the conversation despite of
me showing no interest in this ridiculous conversation. I can't believe people who say "auto" as "aato" has the
nerve to talk about malayalee accent. Whew!! People with narrow view of the world, that is how i convince myself
when i have to go through one of these conversation.

sher khan said...

hey :-)
where r u now? in blore or us?

I know.. they say "aanest" for 'honest' and on and on.. but yes, only the mallu has an accent!!!

sher khan said...

hey :-)
where r u now? in blore or us?

I know.. they say "aanest" for 'honest' and on and on.. but yes, only the mallu has an accent!!!

Anonymous said...

I am in US, Eagan MN.. Will be back to Blore in a week. Looks like u r here in US

Anonymous said...

I dont get it. The whole accent thing, I have a weird Singaporean/Chinese/trying to pronunce american accent and people are always trying to guess which part of India my accent is from.. WTF?

sher khan said...

:-) another thing that I've always notice is that people trying to catch your accent have a heavy accent themselves! i really do not understand the logic behind it!
I would prefer somebody tries to correct my grammar or pronunciation rather than my accent!

Nino's Mum said...

lol!
Although you must give me my sympathies, because I've to stand up for two accents - both equally strong - gujju and tamilian!
hahahaha :) this was a good read.

Just Like That said...

LOL! He WAS obtuse! No advice.:-)

Raja said...

Lovely read. I think every state in India has it's own accent. But pity, here too ppl point each other out for difference in accent.
I am from Orissa and studied in Assam (both the places have strong accent) and here in B'lore when people talk of accent i just politely say yes we have it or I don't have it :) depending on the persons judgement. But then, is English in b'lore accent neutral ? Then how about 'housu', 'clubu', 'swimming poolu' as told in one popular adv on radio these days ?