Thursday, May 21, 2009

And then life happened!

One of my friends is getting married in three months and we were discussing possible honeymoon locations. I sent him a couple of links. Some minutes later he asks me “Have you done a Ph.D in this?” I smile the whole thing away, but there is a heavy feeling in my heart.
These were places which I wanted to see with the BH. Places where I wanted to go. Soon after marriage before all the responsibilities strike you, when you are still young and free, while you still believe in the beauty of life. Sleep in log cottages. Look at the snow capped mountains and sip coffee. Go for long walks. Stay up all night talking about everything and anything. Take oodles of photographs. Cozy honeymoon snaps. Make it a memory, a memory to go back and look at with fondness when things get wild. The stuff dreams are made of. At least my dreams.
And then life happened!
At first we did not have the money considering that we did not get any financial help from our parents when we got married. So most of our savings went in setting up the house and even that was a five year plan. Then once we had something in the bank and could afford it, we bought this house. The huge emi’s ensured that all such trips were out of the question. And then I got pregnant and mowgli came along. We can go now since Mowgli is old enough to be left with his grand parents, but I doubt whether it would be the same. We have changed, our thoughts have changed and maybe the way we look at this trip or feel while on the trip might not be the same. This is the cynic/eternal pessimist in me that’s doing the talking. Four years into our marriage this list of places remains just a word document in my laptop. A word doc that I eagerly forward to friends for their honeymoons. I still don’t know why I bother to keep it, I just can’t bring myself to delete it coz I had spent a lot of my time compiling that list and somehow to delete it requires more will power than I currently have.
So the list remains along with a lot of other such paraphernalia that I had before life happened!

P.S. http://www.chaletsnaldehra.com/ one of the links.

No comments: