Wednesday, April 2, 2008

We are alone again…

The grand parents are off after 2 weeks of carrying around a junglee and laughing at all his antics and loving him and cuddling him and spoiling him the only way grand parents can.
It was such a comfort to leave for work everyday knowing that there is family at home looking after Mowgli. Whatever the disadvantages of a joint family are, it just evens out when you have kids. Mowgli also has been very happy basking and revelling in the attention showered. He has been very comfortable with them, no crying when I’m gone. Funny how they seem to recognize family immediately. Can they sense the genuine affection?
The first time I left him alone with the maid was for an hour and he howled the place down. But with his ammu (paternal grandmother) he was just playing around. Pretty strange considering that he last saw her when he was 2 months old! The grandparents have downcast faces today.. busy cramming up memories to last them till the next visit.
The difference between grandparents and parents:
Mowgli picks up a toy. Proud parents: “oh look, he has picked it up himself”
Prouder grandparents : “ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. looooooooooooooook.. look at the way he has picked it up. Clasping it with his finger and thumb.. he is soooooo intelligent. Look look look.. he is doing it again. Mowgliiiiii babyyyyyy…You know Mr.X’s grand daughter? She is 6 months old and still cant pick up a toy… we should tell Mr.X what all our Mowgli can do..” and this is repeated through out the day and the week and the month :-)
Well! Mowgli’s got quite a loyal fan club
***********************************
Our maid is off tomorrow for 5 days (!!!!) so am at home ready to relish these 5 days with mowgli… having a baby has taught me one thing, to live in the moment. As a true blooded Virgo, I live by lists. “What to do next” is my favourite mantra. But after Mowgli I realize that I need to stop and smell the roses more often. The Better Half lives life fully, never planning for the next day. For him a phone call is all it takes to pack his bags and troop off. There are no planned vacations, just vacations when the mood strikes. I am trying to change myself..a small step at a time. If Mowgli laughs at me today when I fool around he might not do it again the next time. So when he does I laugh with him and fool around a little more. The lists can wait… for today I have my baby...

No comments: