Monday, February 5, 2018

Feb Day 3

The mantra for January was " Do what you have to".

Did this change my life? Not really, coz I think I’m the person who does go out and do things without really thinking a lot about what others will say.

But this did help me in doing some things which I would have otherwise not followed up. Like the get together we organised at our flat. The BH got quite irritated in the beginning, muttering that it’s only us who are interested and why do we have to do this and such. I knew that people were interested, it’s was just a matter of somebody doing the organising and putting it together. The venue was planned in a day, tasks given to people, counts taken. And just like school days, there was this initial set of people who raised their hands and slowly slowly everybody else raised their hands... the BH rallied around to get the food organised and to take care of the budget. And we pulled it off in just two days. 

It was a huge success with many people thanking us personally and publicly. Everybody had fun. Movies were organised for the kids, so that adults could have some peace and quiet. There was good food and drinks. Somebody brought a speaker and  a microphone, started off an impromptu antakshari session. And it was really good to spend time with all the families. 

It wasn't really that difficult.. the doing part, I mean. Its more difficult getting people to confirm whether they would attend or not, distributing tasks amongst the volunteers and then dealing with random feedback at the end of everything. The older me would have got worked up with the BH’s irritation, blamed the other families for not offering to help out etc etc. but here, I was calm. I knew I would do this, at least once.If it didn’t work out, it didn’t. But I needed to try it out. And it worked out beautifully.

No comments: