Monday, April 27, 2009

Leaving pains

Its been a week at the day care. And I’m exhausted, frustrated, near tears. The first day went off well with Mowgli eating well, playing with the kids and enjoying himself there. Of course I’m also there in the vicinity. By the second day he seemed to realize that evil mama had other plans- plans that did not involve him. Now how is that possible and how can he allow it!!! Thus started the screaming. If any of the helpers come within a 50 m radius he starts SCREAMING. It’s like a non stop siren and ends in huge tears rolling down his cheeks. The moment I take him he is all smiles and the drama is over. I am at my wits end! I am sure he likes the place, because he likes playing with other children and likes seeing a lot of people around him. But this is as if he has decided beforehand come what may ‘I am not going to co-operate’. And now its not just the daycare- if we go to any gathering he needs me with him. He has turned quite clingy in this past one week and that is a huge change from the extrovert he was. The teachers and the lady running it assure me that this is normal and he will adjust. I don’t know whether I am doing the right thing. What do they mean by “adjust”? will he have any emotional problems because of this. I know I am acting paranoid and hyper, but what the heck! He is mine and I am responsible for him. For whatever he grows up into.
Till last week I am the one who has been with him 24 hrs a day and to relinquish this role to somebody else is not easy. I keep reminding the day care people,’he likes animal pictures. If he is too cranky he will settle down if you play music. He loves balls’. They nod their heads and smile telling me to relax. This week is going to be more difficult because they have asked me to leave after dropping him off. He is going to cry and cry and cry and they will have to manage him. I have been having doubts on whether I should take up this job now or prolong it for one more year. If mowgli continues to cry at the day care then I don’t think it will work. I will not be happy at office and will be worried full time thinking about my baby. I just want him to have a good time there, play with the kids and enjoy himself, not cry and be miserable and keep on looking at the door waiting for mama/dada.
Praying hard that he finds the place fun this week. Please keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: