Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mowgli at 16

Months, thankfully!!!
During the first month, I remember an incident where mowgli refused to sleep the entire night. He would feed for some time, play for some time, nod off to sleep and just when all of us would heave a collective sigh of relief he would wake up and the process was repeated again and again through out the night. By early morning my mom, I and the maid were like zombies. I had just closed my eyes and was almost asleep when Mowgli woke up again and the maid asked me to feed him. As far as I remember I did feed Mowgli, only it was in my dreams. Later on when I finally woke up, the maid and my mom were laughing at me. It seems I had told them to take the $%%*&%$ baby away and do whatever they wanted to. I want to sleep for at least 3 hours!!!! Never in my wildest dreams had I thought that I would ever behave like this to a one month old baby. Sleep deprivation does funny things to people J
At those times I used to wonder how people could love their kids so much. What was the big deal about it? They say motherhood grows on you. Every day it sort of exponentially increases the love you feel towards your kid. There are days when I can just look at him the whole day, feel joy and wonder in everything he does and ask myself “who taught him all this?”
When he drinks water from his cup and dutifully places it back in the cupboard.
When he takes a cloth and starts wiping the floor or brings the broom and dust pan and tries to sweep the floor.
Rubs soap all over his tummy while taking a bath
Takes the cream and pats it on his chubby cheeks and when I offer my cheeks gives me a bite instead
Keep on throwing imaginary balls all the while shouting ‘ma-ma.. bu.’
A very insistent “ma-maaa” which makes me drop everything and come running (ah, well…most of the time, it does!)
Throwing everything out of the balcony- clips, his toys, utensils, shoes, whatever he can lay his hands on
Slyly feeding cocoa whatever he does not want to eat
Giving the BH bear hugs when he comes home tired from work
Throwing flying kisses and saying ‘ta-ta’ to the crowds when we are stuck in traffic jams
Hiding behind the chair always willing to play hide and seek.
Trying to lift cocoa who is double his size now
Biting and scratching and pinching and trying to pull my nose ring off (if only it was that easy!)
Patting the bed to indicate which side I should sleep on
Stuffing my toe-ring inside the BH’s belly button!
And just when you think this is it, you cannot stand it anymore; he ambles over with that impish grin and hugs you tight or gives you a peck on the cheek and goes ‘um-ma-ma-ma’.
And that just makes your day and you are once again a willing slave to his highness ‘Mowgli Yuvraaj”.
Jai Ho!
p.s. The next ‘16’ (years) might not get such a favorable review!

No comments: