Monday, January 14, 2019

Where is the gratitude?

After the intense discontent filled year, 2019 was an eye opener. It seemed as if the universe wanted to remind me how privileged I am.

My cousin's son has been struggling with drug addiction for quite some time. We have all been supporting her, trying to help out in our own ways but in the end the battle is hers alone to face. Being a single parent, the journey is even more difficult. Just when we all thought that things were under control, he has started getting quite violent and abusive to his sister and others.

Another relative is going through an episode of brain tumour. Multiple rounds of chemo and now the doctors have said that there is nothing more that can be done. He is slightly older than us and has a school going son. I cant imagine the uncertainty that they have in their lives.

And many other cases... Most of the conversations I had at the beginning of the year were all about these.

What I realized is that in the end, all the things that I was complaining about didn't really matter! They were all minor irritations as compared to what so many others are going on. There are so many things in my life that I should be thankful for - good health, supportive husband, loving kids, stable job - many things that I took for granted and which others are praying for.


No comments: