Friday, January 16, 2009

Jobs available?

The part-time job is over. We are in a state of suspended tension and delayed reactions. Yesterday it was me frantically going through different bank accounts, calculating and recalculating. Today it’s the BH chanting a mantra “don’t worry, you’ll get a job” repeatedly. After 5 minutes of chanting he stops and looks at me and asks in a pitiable voice, “you’ll get, right???”
The calls that I am getting are not at all encouraging. Either the pay is too less/ not flexible enough. And there’s not much choice. Most of the companies are on a recruitment freeze. This option is still open. The only issue is the timings. It is from 2-11 pm. This is fine, but on days when the BH is travelling, I need to be back by 7 at least. They do not give you a laptop nor do they encourage work from home, so have kept this as the last option. If nothing works out by Mar, I am going back there. There is no other choice.
The last time I was looking out for a job the situation was so much better. I could pick and choose from different very interesting profiles, good pay, and different locations. This time I am choosier in terms of flexibility in timings. At places I am not even asking about the work or the pay. It is just the timings. It is so degrading. Why aren’t workplaces more parent friendly? I am sure it is not just the women; surely the fathers will also want to spend time with their children, right? See them grow up; be with them; do things with them. Not just on the weekends.
Yes I have a family and that is top priority. But that does not mean I’m dumb and will shirk on the work front. Why should family and a career be mutually exclusive? Can’t a person have both?
Our savings will take us along for four months. Till May. After that we are broke.

No comments: