Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Back to lacy lingerie...

Its all over. The last physical tie that bound my son to me is gone now. We are finally done with breast feeding. Prepared to spend sleepless nights, the BH and I geared ourselves for the drama that was to be. Friday night was horrible. He was crying the whole time and refused to sleep. I was up the whole night walking him around and napping for short intervals with Mowgli sleeping on my chest. There were moments when I was almost compelled to feed him just so that we could sleep, but kept on telling myself that he is one year old and its high time he needs to eat other foods also. Saturday night was little better. Just the occasional crying. He would wake up 3-4 times, drink water and I would walk him to sleep. Then we both would lie down listening to music, he on my chest again. On Sunday we did the same. And finally on Monday night he realized that theres no point getting up 3-4 times in the night just to drink water! He slept through the night with getting up once or twice. We just had to change his position and pat him to sleep. No fuss. The same yesterday night too. Which means, yes its really over!
It is so sweet and sad at the same time. I am happy and relieved to stop breast feeding. Hopefully I’ll shed all the extra kilos and get back to my previous avatar. Its also a relief to not get up innumerable times every night. In fact after an entire year I slept for more than 5 hrs at a stretch yesterday . But along with all these there’s a small part of me that’s missing it. Missing that special time where it was just the both of us. Just wondering how soon they grow up. How is he taking it? Children have such short memories. In just four days he has completely forgotten that such a thing existed. He has adjusted to it so fast. Is it a character trait or are all kids like this?
There have been so many changes that happened ion the past 2-3 days. He has started drinking cow’s milk. He used to hate it before. Now he drinks two bottles with absolutely no fuss! He points to the bottle and asks for milk now! Never thought this day would come when Mowgli would actually point to food and say yes!!!
Its as if he has suddenly grown up. Eating better, sleeping better, playing more. (Touchwood!)
Progressed to shorts from nappies. Started toilet training. Brushing teeth twice a day. Oh, why dont babies stay babies :-(
We shaved his head too over the weekend. No tears no fighting. Just sat there quietly playing with his toys while the barber snipped off his beautiful curls. At one point of time he touched his head and looked at us with a surprised expression. Then he kept on touching his head and then rubbing his fingers, maybe wondering where the hair went.
By this time he understood that his hair was going and he grew quite angry. One slap for the barber and two bites for poor mama. Lets hope those beautiful girly curls come back :-)
I totally dig this new look! Its not as bad as how I thought it would be. What do you think?

No comments: