Thursday, February 25, 2010

Indian Heritage Academy

The BH wanted to learn to play the chenda. It is a Kerala style drum . We googled it, asked people about it, but hit a blank wall. Many months later I was talking about this during our evening chai session and one of the managers told me to go enquire at Indian Heritage Academy. This was the first time I was hearing about this place. Got their number, found out that they have a guy who teaches the Mridangam. And after that we did nothing! Finally last week, we decided to go see this place. I fell in love with it! It has anything and everything being taught. So while you walk about, there is a bharatanatyam class going on in one corner; another room you can hear the Saaaaa, Reee of a young crowd . A little further on there are painting classes, guitar, keyboard, most instruments and yes Kathak too! ( I’ve been looking for a good place to learn Kathak for the past couple of years) We looked at the timings and joined the two classes immediately. The BH has signed up for Mridangam classes and me for the Kathak Beginners Class. I wanted to put Mowgli in something, but he is too small for any of these. But when he grows up, he is definitely coming here!
It made me happy to do this. Maybe because I get this feeling sometimes that we are wasting our life away looking at excel sheets or just doing the same things over and over again. Are we doing the things that will matter to ourselves in the long run? And there is this tiny voice telling me to make time for these, coz the rest do not matter!!!

2 comments:

Usha said...

hey, I came here looking for blogposts on 'Indian Heritage Academy'. Even I chanced upon this institution just a couple of days back, and was looking around for reviews about the place.
How are you finding the classes? (yeah right, I'm one of those pesky beings who love to do their research before doing anything. even for fun. :P)
ps: I assume we're both talking about the one in Bangalore.

sher khan said...

Hi Usha,
the classes are good. both my husband and me are enjoying these classes. and they have a whole lot of things happening there. you should definitely try it out.

hope to see you there :-)
Cheers!